Volunteer at Wildwood Park
Volunteers play a very important role in the daily operations of Wildwood Park. Their enthusiasm and dedication are valuable resources. Their contributions of time and talent are greatly appreciated by the staff and by the visitors who use our park.
Volunteer support is essential on all levels, whether it is working with the public or behind the scenes. Once a week, once a month or on a specific project, volunteers help the professional staff to preserve and maintain Wildwood Park’s wetlands, forest, trails, nature center and/or assist with educational programs.
- Nature Center/Front Desk – Meet and greet visitors, answer telephones, process nature shop sales, assist the staff with the opening and/or closing of the nature center, and assist visitors in the exhibit hall.
- Nature Shop – Assist with the management of the nature shop. Restock merchandise, maintain inventory records and assist with sales and special events.
- Children’s Library – Maintain book inventory records, select new books, and develop themes to promote reading by children.
- Discovery Room – Develop themes and assist in creating interactive family-oriented experiences for young visitors.
- Education Programming – Assist the educational staff with the planning, organizing and conducting of programs and events.
- Exhibits – Assist with the caring for exhibits, planning of temporary and future exhibits, and creating public information items and program materials.
- Office & Clerical – Work with record keeping, typing, preparing mailings, and other office-related tasks.
- Landscape Maintenance and Projects – Work in the developed areas of the Sanctuary and grounds surrounding the nature center to control and maintain planted vegetation.
- Trail Crew – Maintain trails by eliminating encroaching vegetation while maintaining the natural features, monitor and alert staff of potential safety hazards.
- Speaker’s Bureau – Help staff booths at fairs and other community events, develop and conduct public relations presentations for community groups and organizations.
- Volunteer Patrol – Patrol the Sanctuary trails during peak park usage; provide information, first aid, and public relations assistance to visitors.
- Newsletter (Friends of Wildwood) – Assist with the production of the Friends of Wildwood’s quarterly newsletter in the areas of writing, editing, layout, and/or mailing.